In the mood for Mexican food but don’t want to eat out? This quesadilla recipe brings you a delicious Mexican meal without going over your budget. Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, or your favorite salsa!
½ red or green bell pepper, seeded and cut in bite-size strips
½ medium white onion, thinly sliced
1 fresh serrano pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
nonstick cooking spray
½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
1 tomato, thinly sliced, reserve 2 slices
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add green or red pepper, onion and serrano pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until vegetables start to become tender. Remove from heat.
3. Spray one side of each tortilla with cooking spray.
4. Turn two of the tortillas to the uncoated side and cover with ½ of the cheese. Cover with onion mixture, tomato slices, 1 tablespoon cilantro and the rest of the cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, coated side up.
5. Heat a large skillet or griddle. Cook quesadillas until cheese melts and tortillas are light browned (about 4-5 minutes).
6. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
7. Serve warm. Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, or your favorite salsa!